Monday 23 December 2013

Vulgarity

What is it when someone tells me how bad something is to look at, how brutal, how stomach churning, I have to see it, and then, try to top it?

Why is it?

I try to break through my fear to look, and I look, and the truth of it is that it is never horrible in the way I was expecting.

It doesn't offend me, it's not a matter of an intellectual capacity to withstand trauma. It doesn't break my mind.

It doesn't do anything at all, and I scoff, amused, I say something worse, I can't stand how soft it is. I want something worse, something that will make everything else fall away.

Instead it just lies there, is just one more horrible thing. I try to subsume it into my mass like that monster in Spirited Away. Make me bigger, more monstrous.

This morning I got a call from my sister. My mum is in hospital.

I'm frightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment